Beginning February 24, 2023, customers in the 309 area code region may be assigned a number in the new 861 area code when they request new service or an additional line. Customers receiving the 861 area code will be required to dial the area code and phone number for all local calls, just as customers with telephone numbers from the 309 area code do today. The new 861 area code will serve the same geographic area currently served by the 309 area code.
What will you need to do?
- Continue to dial 10 digits for all local calls, including calls within the same area code.
- Continue to identify your telephone number as a 10-digit number, and include the area code when giving the number to friends, family, business associates, customers, etc.
- Ensure that all services, automatic dialing equipment, or other types of equipment recognize the new 861 area code as a valid area code and continue to store or program telephone numbers as 10-digit numbers. Some examples are: stored telephone numbers in contact lists in wireless phones, PBXs, fax machines, Internet dial-up numbers, speed dialers, call forwarding settings, voicemail services, medical alert devices, safety alarm security systems and gates, ankle monitors and or other similar equipment.
- Check items such as your website, personal and business stationery, printed checks, advertising materials, contact information, and your personal or pet ID tags to ensure the area code is included.
What will remain the same?
- Your telephone number, including current area code, will not change.
- The price of a call, coverage area, or other rates and services will not change.
- What is a local call now will remain a local call.
- You will continue to dial 10 digits for local calls, and 1+10 digits for long distance calls.
- You can still dial just three digits to reach 911 and 988, as well as 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, 711 or 811 if those are currently available in your community.
Who should you contact with questions?
If you have any questions, please visit the Illinois Commerce Commission website HERE.